[Metadatalibrarians] Job Posting: Head Cataloger
Gonzales, Brighid M
bmgonzales at ollusa.edu
Tue May 16 08:30:17 PDT 2017
Responsible for the library's public access catalog and holdings maintenance. Provides leadership in the organization of and access to monographs, serials, and media in all formats. Responsible for planning, management, and quality control of records and holdings. Oversees operation of the library public catalog and the University Archives. Supervises 1.75 FTE staff with student work studies. The Head Cataloger reports to the Dean of the University Library. Twelve-month contract; non-tenure track position. Appointment at rank of Assistant or Associate Professor, depending on qualifications and experience.
* Manages the cataloging of new materials for the library collection, with personal responsibility for most original, non-DLC and rush cataloging. Duties include descriptive cataloging, assignment of call numbers and subject headings, verification of authorized headings, access points for digital material, and OCLC holdings.
* Batch loads vendor cataloging records and authority records (Marcive).
* Oversees periodical subscriptions (orders and renewals) check-ins and claims.
* Provides other cataloging support as needed, as well as special projects.
* Supervises one cataloging technician;. hire, train and supervise student assistants as needed.
* Supervises .75 FTE University Archivist and assists with metadata descriptions of digital archive material.
* Evaluates effectiveness of catalog data and metadata for resource discovery (quality control).
* Remains current with metadata and cataloging standards and digital library development.
* Participates in Technical Services work flow redesign.
* Collaborates with the Head of Systems & Electronic Resource Management & Web Services librarians to ensure reliable access to library holdings.
* Fosters and maintains collaborative and collegial relationships with faculty and library staff.
* Participates in RFP for and selection of new library services platform.
* Manages off-site storage of library materials (theses & dissertations; special collections).
* Works with vendors to supply quality cataloging records and shelf-ready books.
* Assists with library strategic planning, development of library policies and procedures and assessment of library goals.
* Provides reference duties as needed.
* Serves on library, university and consortia committees.
* Serves as collection development liaison with academic departments in assigned areas.
* Meets university expectations for scholarship.
* American Library Association accredited master's degree.
* Minimum of 3 years professional experience in Technical Services, including serials.
* Experience with RDA and LC classification and subject headings.
* Supervisory skills.
* Familiarity with SirsiDynix Symphony SaaS.
* Excellent computer skills and knowledge of office applications; the ability to learn and perform automated library systems tasks are required.
* Knowledge of standard archival processing and management practices, MARC, RDA, OCLC, CORC, and LCSH.
* Familiarity with MarcEdit.
* Knowledge of acquisitions and processing life cycle.
* Experience working with automated library systems.
* Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
* Ability to set priorities and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
* Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
* Ability to write clear, accurate process documentation and business communications.
* Flexibility and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
* Leadership, interpersonal, team-building and organizational skills.
* Level of Spanish language skills necessary for cataloging.
* Experience assessing cataloging and serial goals.
Employment with Our Lady of the Lake University is contingent upon the applicant undergoing a background investigation.
OLLU seeks to attract, develop and retain the highest quality faculty, staff and administrators. The University is committed to diversity and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities. EOE
Our Lady of the Lake University uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Apply Here: http://ollusa.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=84499
More information about the Metadatalibrarians