[Metadatalibrarians] Spanish/Portuguese Metadata Librarian position
Joyce E. Bell
joyceb at Princeton.EDU
Mon May 15 11:49:44 PDT 2017
Metadata Librarian, Spanish/Portuguese Specialty
Technical Services Department
Princeton University Librarian
Requisition Number D-17-LIB-00015
Princeton University Library is one of the world's leading research libraries. It employs a dedicated and knowledgeable staff of more than 300 professional and support staff working in a large central library, 9 specialized branches, and 3 storage facilities. Through a combination of exemplar services and world-renowned collections the Library supports a diverse community of 5,200 undergraduates, 2,700 graduate students, 1,200 faculty members, and many visiting scholars. Its holdings include more than 10 million printed volumes, 5 million manuscripts, 2 million non-print items, and extensive collections of digital text, data, and images. Further information: http://library.princeton.edu/.
Princeton University Library seeks a committed and resourceful Metadata Librarian with a specialization in the languages, history and cultures of Latin America, Spain and Portugal to become part of a team whose mission is promoting and enhancing discovery of and access to the Library's digital and print collections. Within this scope the Metadata Librarian will have broad responsibility for Western language acquisitions and holdings, and contribute special expertise, initiative and/or leadership requiring knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese language. The focus of the position is on creative and efficient utilization of metadata and the imaginative application of technology to achieve quicker, more efficient processing of new acquisitions, and for bibliographic control and discovery promotion of the Library's holdings achieved through creating, converting and managing both MARC data and newer metadata formats. The librarian needs a strong grounding in cataloging principles and the ability to apply them to existing and emerging media in a variety of encoding formats coupled with strong technical skills relevant to the position's requirements. The librarian will need to be professionally active and will play an integral role in the Division's linked data activities.
* Strong working knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese
* MLS or an advanced degree in an area related to Spanish/Portuguese language, literature, culture, history, etc.
* Demonstrated proficiency and familiarity with library-relevant information technology and standards
* Experience demonstrating capability for project planning and workflow management
* Demonstrated ability to work in a collegial, team environment
* Working knowledge of other European languages
* Familiarity with linked data, XML, and tools for data visualization
* Experience with scripting languages (Python, Ruby, etc.)
* Experience demonstrating supervisory skills
* Experience which demonstrates a strong knowledge of cataloging principles
* Knowledge of RDA and BIBFRAME
* Knowledge of authority principles and practices
* Knowledge of at least one metadata schema
Princeton is especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their service to the Library, to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
The successful candidate will be appointed to an appropriate Librarian rank depending upon qualifications and experience. Applications will be accepted only from https://puwebp.princeton.edu/AcadHire/apply/ and must include a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references with full contact information. This position is subject to the University's background check policy. Princeton University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More information about the Metadatalibrarians