[Metadatalibrarians] LD4 Wikidata Affinity Group: New Summer/Fall Wikidata Working Hour Series beginning July 8!

Hilary K Thorsen thorsenh at stanford.edu
Sat Jul 2 19:45:22 PDT 2022

Greetings everyone,

Over the summer and into the early fall the LD4 Wikidata Affinity Group<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_LD4_Wikidata_Affinity_Group> will be offering a series of Wikidata Working Hours<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_LD4_Wikidata_Affinity_Group/Wikidata_Working_Hours> to give folks an opportunity to try out various Wikidata-related skills and tools by adding data about diverse children’s books<https://ccbc.education.wisc.edu/literature-resources/ccbc-diversity-statistics/> from the Cooperative Children’s Book Center at the University of Wisconsin, Madison to Wikidata. Wikidata Working Hours provide hands-on Wikidata experience in a supportive space. We hope you will join us if you are interested in learning more about Wikidata, love children’s books, or have been looking for a fun Wikidata project to contribute to.

The first Wikidata Working Hour in the series will cover data clean-up, so we can get our spreadsheet of children’s book metadata ready for use during subsequent Working Hours.

Date and time: Friday, July 8, 2022 at 10:00am PT / 1:00pm ET / 17:00 UTC / 7:00pm CEST (Time zone converter)<https://zonestamp.toolforge.org/1657299634>
Zoom link to join: https://stanford.zoom.us/j/97057921902?pwd=RmVHVmYrRUlkeXQ2aW5JZHZDZEo3dz09
Password: 877856

To get the most out of this Working Hour, please install the most recent version of <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__openrefine.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=ZKZdijZcvSwDlmLpUMf9GVdOigjGjnqPOHQla31EGfM&m=GdaXTwn1pYwERet5rE25yMixZ1bT6YZUyRe7D9wrxfQ&s=CJuXHW5Ov3xG1ThAwMWlVGXqe_QsgRJgtQLP-ANCzPY&e=> OpenRefine<https://openrefine.org/> in advance. Detailed installation instructions here: <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.openrefine.org_manual_installing&d=DwMFaQ&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=ZKZdijZcvSwDlmLpUMf9GVdOigjGjnqPOHQla31EGfM&m=GdaXTwn1pYwERet5rE25yMixZ1bT6YZUyRe7D9wrxfQ&s=XCdgd32IC2phDUT7ETACxRdxR3aZOVItwgNxSbB1_GI&e=> https://docs.openrefine.org/manual/installing If you run into any issues, you can email Kyla Jemison (kyla.jemison[at]gmail.com) with questions.

Subsequent Working Hours will cover reconciliation with Wikidata in OpenRefine, creating and editing items manually in Wikidata for authors, publishers, and bibliographic works and editions, uploading batch metadata to Wikidata using OpenRefine and Quickstatments, and using SPARQL to query and visualize the data we’ve added to Wikidata. You don’t have to attend every session to benefit from the series,but attending whenever possible will offer the best experience in terms of applying skills and tools to a single data set. We’ll also record the demo portions of each Working Hour, so you can always catch up on anything you miss.

To be sure to receive announcements about future Wikidata Working hours, subscribe to the ld4-wikidata Google Group<https://groups.google.com/d/forum/ld4-wikidata>.

Other ways to follow what’s going on with the Affinity Group:
Ld4-wikidata Google group: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/ld4-wikidata
#wikidata channel on LD4 Slack: http://bit.ly/ld4slack
Notes in public LD4 Wikidata Affinity Group folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JwTulCABs0TkGQDVSnYbIYEb7bC-j4-n
WikiProject page: https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_LD4_Wikidata_Affinity_Group