[Metadatalibrarians] Job Posting: Head of Metadata Services, Brown University Library

Weng, Cathy cathy_weng at brown.edu
Fri Jun 25 04:40:00 PDT 2021

Dear colleagues,

In conjunction with an ambitious strategic plan, Brown University Library
<http://library.brown.edu> is in a period of staff growth and renewal,
seeking a diverse candidate pool for the position of Head of Metadata
Services.

See below for a brief description of the position, including link to the
full job descriptions and application tool. All applicants must apply
through the Careers at Brown
<https://brown.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/staff-careers-brown/jobs> application
interface, through which you should submit your résumé/CV, cover letter,
and contact information for three references in order to be considered.

This is an exciting time to join the Brown University Library for
professionals seeking an opportunity to advance scholarship at a top tier
research institution while working to strengthen community ties within the
Library, the University, and beyond, and to actively participate in a
highly intentional, organization-wide effort to transform the Library into
a site of racial justice
<https://library.brown.edu/create/racial-justice-project/>. Applicants who
span a wide range of viewpoints, life experiences, and intellectual
pursuits are encouraged to apply.

*Head of Metadata Services*

Brown University Library seeks a creative and forward-thinking library
professional to lead the metadata services unit in the next phase of the
evolution of object description for inclusive discovery. The Head of
Metadata Services is responsible for the day-to-day supervision and
professional development of the Library’s paraprofessional cataloging and
metadata staff. This team produces the technical and descriptive metadata
needed to provide intellectual and physical access to our information
resources and collections in support of the University’s goals for academic
excellence, integrative scholarship, and educational leadership. A
collaborative leader, the Head of Metadata Services works with library
staff in Scholarly Resources and other units across the Library to develop
a roadmap for prioritizing the work of the unit’s many responsibilities,
including metadata production, remediation, enhancement, and management —
with the goal of inclusive discovery. Working closely with the Head of
Technical Services, the Head of Metadata Services assesses, develops, and
documents internal policies and procedures and initiates projects related
to improving the discoverability of resources for a wide range of campus
users, with focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. For more details on
the position, please access:
https://brown.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/staff-careers-brown/job/University-Library/Head-of-Metadata-Services_REQ171275

*About the Brown University Library*

All members of the Brown University Library team are vital contributors to
our mission to advance instruction, learning, and research at Brown
University in an environment of creativity and inclusivity. A community of
academic, professional, and organizational learning, the Library embraces
people who span a wide range of viewpoints, life experiences, and
intellectual pursuits. Together, we preserve the past and innovate for the
future. The Library’s strategic objectives
<https://library.brown.edu/create/strategicplanning/> are responsive to and
strengthened by Library-wide goals that act upon the University’s commitment
to diversity and inclusion <https://diap.brown.edu/> as reflected in the
backgrounds and experiences of our people as well as our approaches to the
materials, methods, and accessibility of scholarship. Similarly, we want to
find new ways for scholarship and practice at the Library to have a
positive impact on the wider community in Providence and beyond. As
reflected in our strategic objectives, the Library should not only be
responding to the legacies of historic inequity and injustice, but also
taking action through its work and expertise to overcome them. We invite
candidates with initiative, unique perspectives, inventive thinking, and a
passion for collaboration to join the University's global mission of
leadership and academic excellence.

*****

Cathy Weng
Head, Technical Services