[Metadatalibrarians] Call for Proposal: ALCTS CaMMS Faceted Subject Access Interest Group at ALA Midwinter 2020
makw at msu.edu
Tue Oct 8 04:52:42 PDT 2019
*** Apologies for cross-posting ***
The ALCTS CaMMS Faceted Subject Access Interest Group is soliciting proposals for presentations at the 2020 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Philadelphia, PA. The meeting is scheduled for Saturday, January 25, 2019 from 4:00-5:00 pm.
The interest group is charged with discussing the theory and applications related to subject terminology intended for faceted application, including FAST (faceted application of subject terminology), AAT (art and architecture thesaurus), LCGFT (Library of Congress genre/from terms), and others.
For more information about FSAIG, visit our page on the ALCTS website (http://www.ala.org/alcts/mgrps/camms/grps/ats-ccsigfsa<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.ala.org_alcts_mgrps_camms_grps_ats-2Dccsigfsa&d=DwMFaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=KtlNFLg-HO2NSLb9uAlMpA&m=C50XW8NPSnBPFfdDpKrkUZHBNwWN6Csmhe2J-kL-vnE&s=B6kQD6HJup7Z51pQnF9u5mUyF85B9zOHlvHSjAkr_nM&e=>) or our ALA Connect space (https://connect.ala.org/alcts/communities/community-home?CommunityKey=9488abee-3f69-4ba1-8956-871a2f087c6b<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__connect.ala.org_alcts_communities_community-2Dhome-3FCommunityKey-3D9488abee-2D3f69-2D4ba1-2D8956-2D871a2f087c6b&d=DwMFaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=KtlNFLg-HO2NSLb9uAlMpA&m=C50XW8NPSnBPFfdDpKrkUZHBNwWN6Csmhe2J-kL-vnE&s=DXV1wto_KWSd2CzHzszZ2QUHdsqIpATQdthWDUM0Os8&e=>)
Share your experiences with and studies of faceted subject access! We are looking for presentations on any aspect of faceted subject access, including, but not limited to:
* Use of faceted vocabularies in the catalog or other contexts (digital repositories, etc.)
* User studies on faceted subject use in the library catalog, discovery layer, institutional repositories, etc.
* The use of FAST headings (Faceted Application of Subject Terminology), Library of Congress vocabularies such as LCGFT (Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms), LCMPT (Library of Congress Medium of Performance Thesaurus for Music), or LCDGT (Library of Congress Demographic Group Terms)
* The use of other vocabularies such as AAT (art and architecture thesaurus), etc.
* Training staff, librarians, student workers, etc. to assign faceted vocabularies
* Using tools, programs, applications to assign faceted vocabularies
* Converting non-faceted vocabularies in legacy data into faceted vocabularies, or adding faceted vocabularies to legacy data
* Faceted vocabularies and linked data
* Problems or issues discovered when working with different faceted vocabularies
We are seeking presentations of 15-20 minutes in length. Please email proposal abstracts to co-chairs Lucas Mak (makw at msu.edu<mailto:makw at msu.edu>) and Nerissa Lindsey (nlindsey at sdsu.edu<mailto:nlindsey at sdsu.edu>) by Monday, November 11, 2019.
Lucas (Wing Kau) Mak
Metadata and Catalog Librarian
Michigan State University Libraries
makw at msu.edu<mailto:makw at msu.edu>
More information about the Metadatalibrarians