[Metadatalibrarians] Call for participation in Cost Assessment Working Group, part of DLF Assessment Interest Group

Chrissy Rissmeyer crissmeyer at ucsb.edu
Mon Jan 29 09:08:57 PST 2018

**** Apologies for cross-posting ****

This email is an invitation to participate in the DLF Assessment Interest
Group’s (DLF AIG) working group on Cost Assessment
<https://wiki.diglib.org/Assessment:Costs> in 2018. There is more
information about the group below, but first, a few words about
participating in DLF AIG.

The only requirement for participation in a DLF AIG working group is a
willingness to dig in and devote a small part of your time contributing to
the tools, methods, and body of knowledge on digital library assessment.
Attendance at the DLF forum is not a requirement for participation in any
of the working groups. Additionally, if your institution is not a DLF
member, you can still participate.

Cost Assessment Working Group in 2017

The Cost Assessment group’s primary task is to collect, aggregate, and
share data on the time it takes to perform various tasks involved in the
digitization process to help with project planning and benchmarking. When
the group formed in 2014, we found few practical resources geared towards
helping the community determine the cost of digitization. To help address
this gap, we built a Digitization Cost Calculator
<http://dashboard.diglib.org/>that allows individuals to enter information
about a project and get back an estimate of the staffing costs and time
needed to complete it based on real data from the community.

2017 focused on making improvements to the Calculator. We organized the
second annual Day of Data II
<https://www.diglib.org/aig-assessments-day-of-data-ii/> in July to collect
additional community data. We also added a number of calculator enhancements
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1bWYVys0H4wPq8ZWfKv5PMN9cipqcoBaMn751llmhU7c/edit#slide=id.g17f6def481_3_6>,
including the addition of new fields and new features.

For more information about the group, see the Cost Assessment Working Group
wiki <https://wiki.diglib.org/Assessment:Costs>. The source code for the
calculator is available via the Calculator's GitHub repository
<https://github.com/clirdlf/digitization_cost_calculator>.

Goals for 2018

The group’s initial goal for 2018 is to survey the community and conduct
user interviews, both with calculator users and data contributors. We plan
to use the information captured from the community to help plan and
prioritize additional work for the upcoming year.

We’d also like to ensure that the group’s wiki and documentation is
up-to-date with our recent and current activities.

How can you participate?

   -

   Join us! We welcome participation from anyone with an interest in this
   area. To join, please contact co-facilitator Chrissy Rissmeyer (
   crissmeyer at ucsb.edu).
   -

   The group typically meets once a month, and the time commitment is
   generally less than an hour per week.
   -

   Our kickoff meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, February 6 from 1-2pm
   (Pacific) / 4-5pm (Eastern) via Zoom (https://ucsb.zoom.us/j/361483389).
   Further details and connection information will be posted on the group wiki
   and you may also email Chrissy with any questions, or for a calendar
   invitation.

For questions about the larger DLF Assessment Interest Group, contact the
DLF AIG co-leaders, Sara Rubinow sararubinow at nypl.org and Santi Thompson
sathompson3 at uh.edu.

Thank you for participating in the DLF AIG!

--

Chrissy Rissmeyer
Coordinator for Digital Content | Metadata Librarian
crissmeyer at ucsb.edu
805-893-4149

Pronouns: she / her / hers