[Metadatalibrarians] Introducing pymods - python module for working with MODSXML

Miguez, Matthew mmiguez at fsu.edu
Mon Mar 13 05:49:56 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I've been learning Python3 to automate or ease the effort involved in some tasks of managing metadata in our digital library. I've collected all of the functions into a single python package: https://github.com/mrmiguez/pymods

Fuller details and some examples are available at the github link above. Some activities I use pymods for:

1.       Generating CSV files for digitized rare books. These are passed off to our catalogers to create digital edition MARC records.

2.       Creating CSV packages to add a digital series to Archon, linking from the finding aid to the object in the digital library.

3.       Transforming our MODS metadata to JSON-LD for harvest by DPLA.

Please check it out and let me know what you think!
-MM

Matthew Miguez
Metadata Librarian
Florida State University