[Metadatalibrarians] Research findings: how manual metadata enhancements make a difference in discovery

Riley, Jenn jlriley at email.unc.edu
Sun Jun 19 15:56:16 PDT 2011

Hi Joyce,

Thank you so much for posting this - I think it's a great example of a
relatively easy way to gather data to help us make better decisions in
this area.

At UNC, we're getting ready to add item level description to some photos
that are part of a set that exist online as part of our mass digitization
of special collections workflow. This seems like it might be a good
opportunity for us to replicate this study at UNC, though we'd have to
control for (or understand) the fact that these enhanced items will be
linked from a newly released targeted collection which itself would
presumably add some traffic. Hopefully we can look into this in the fall
semester, though.

Thanks for sharing - and I too am interested in others working in this
area!

Best,
Jenn

Jenn Riley
Head, Carolina Digital Library and Archives
http://cdla.unc.edu/
http://www.lib.unc.edu/users/jlriley

jennriley at unc.edu
(919) 843-5910