[Metadatalibrarians] Next LD4 Wikidata Affinity Group Session on Tuesday, September 3rd

Hilary K Thorsen thorsenh at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 27 13:45:37 PDT 2024

Hello, everyone –
We have our next LD4 Wikidata Affinity Group Session on Tuesday, September 3, 2024 at 9am PT / 12pm ET / 16:00 UTC / 6pm CEST (Time zone converter<https://zonestamp.toolforge.org/1725379200>).
New Format!
We have decided to try a new programming format starting this fall.  We’ll work with members of the community to highlight their projects and provide editing support by coordinating Project Series lasting two months.  The general format will be to host one presentation and discussion oriented call followed by three Working Hour-style editing sessions in support of that project.  All events will take place during our regular every-other Tuesday timeslot (12pm EST/9am PST/16:00 UTC/6pm CEST).

We are thrilled that Christa Strickler will be our first Project Series lead, with her joint project with the Wikidata Religion & Theology Community of Practice to contribute biographical data to Wikidata from the IRFA<https://irfa.paris/en/en-learn-about-a-missionary/> database using the Mix’n’Match tool.  We are excited to learn more about this project, provide a forum for discussion and shared learning, and lend a hand while building new skills.  Sessions for this series will be on September 3rd and 17th, and October 1st and 15th.
Here is the plan for the series sessions:
Session 1 (September 3)
Intro to community of practice and the project
Session 2 (September 17)
Working session using Mix‘n’Match<https://mix-n-match.toolforge.org/#/catalog/5301> to add Wikidata items
Session 3 (October 1)
Working session using a data model and the UseAsRef user script<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Bargioni/UseAsRef> to enhance items
Session 4 (October 15)
Working session to demonstrate an image search for item enhancement and celebrate with data visualizations of the work we’ve done
Instructions will assume rudimentary knowledge of Wikidata, but beginners and their questions are most welcome! Step-by-step instructions will be provided, so hopefully even those unfamiliar with Wikidata will be able to follow along.
The call details are below. Working sessions will not be recorded, but demos and how-to sections will be made available as recordings. To receive notifications about upcoming calls and session information you can subscribe to the <https://groups.google.com/d/forum/ld4-wikidata> ld4-wikidata Google Group<https://groups.google.com/d/forum/ld4-wikidata>.
Call Details: