[Metadatalibrarians] Position opening: Electronic Resources Librarian, University of Arkansas Libraries

Deborah E. Kulczak dkulczak at uark.edu
Mon Aug 28 09:35:27 PDT 2023

Please excuse any cross-postings of this ad for the position soon to be available in the University of Arkansas Libraries.

Electronic Resources Librarian

The University of Arkansas Libraries invites nominations and applications for the position of Electronic Resources Librarian.  Reporting to the Director of Content Services, the Electronic Resources Librarian works collaboratively in a team environment to manage the life cycle of the Libraries' electronic resources after they are acquired. The librarian oversees activation of resources, setting up vendors as access providers, and verifying and monitoring electronic package content within the Libraries' Alma system. The librarian assists with troubleshooting access and manages administrative access to various vendor platforms. Additionally, the librarian manages bibliographic access to electronic resources, including the batch manipulation and ingest of vendor-supplied metadata, and oversees trials of new resources. The librarian uses critical thinking skills to analyze and solve problems in order to maintain seamless access to the resources that support research and instruction at the University of Arkansas and must be able to work with diverse constituents to accomplish this. The librarian manages a unit of 2 full-time staff.

Librarians hold faculty status and contribute to the teaching, service, and research mission of the University. Library faculty are vital members of the scholarly community and engage with current professional trends and literature, pursue the discovery of new knowledge related to their field of expertise, share the results of their scholarly work through presentations and publications, and engage in professional service at the Libraries, campus, state, and national levels.

Duties and Responsibilities
Unit Management

  *   Works collaboratively with the Web Services Librarian/ILS administrator and the heads of Acquisitions, Collection Development Strategies, and Metadata to manage the life cycle of the Libraries' electronic resources after purchase
  *   Oversees activation of resources within Alma, including creation of electronic portfolios
  *   Manages verification of content (titles and years) of electronic packages and their Community Zone representation
  *   Monitors the ELUNA community Alma, Primo and Content discussion lists for reports of changes to collections, including dropped and added content
  *   Establishes and improves on best practices for management of perpetual content
  *   Manages administrative access to the various vendor platforms, including authentication and access to vendor supplied statistics
  *   Manages vendor and interface set-up for electronic resources including configuration and troubleshooting
  *   Collaborates with the OpenAthens administrator in setting up and troubleshooting access to the Libraries' resources
  *   Manages metadata for electronic resources, including working with Alma Community Zone records and, as needed, record sets. Applies expertise in performing complex or specialized batch cataloging and import operations, including the use of OCLC APIs to select and retrieve records, and/or the batch transformation of non-MARC metadata into MARC records for loading
  *   Designs and manages data clean up projects
  *   Manages trials of new resources
  *   Collaborates with other library departments to improve service
  *   Takes part in professional development activities, including attending of workshops, webinars, and conferences, to augment existing training and skills
Personnel Management

  *   Responsible for hiring, developing, and conducting performance reviews for two FTE staff
  *   Evaluates training needs and assists staff in acquiring the skills, knowledge, and competencies needed to improve job performance
  *   Determines performance deficiencies and designs interventions
  *   Assigns duties and projects, and monitors progress

Minimum Qualifications

  *   Masters in Library and/or Information Science from an ALA accredited or equivalent institution
  *   One year of demonstrated experience managing electronic resources in an integrated library system

Preferred Qualifications

  *   Demonstrated experience managing extensive electronic resource collections in an academic or research environment
  *   Demonstrated experience using Ex Libris' Alma-Primo ILS
  *   Demonstrated experience with electronic resources, including knowledge bases, openURL linking, authentication, and troubleshooting resource access and description
  *   Demonstrated experience in troubleshooting resource access and description
  *   Demonstrated supervisory and/or training experience
  *   Demonstrated experience cataloging library materials using MARC21, RDA/AACR2, Library of Congress (LC) Subject Headings, and LC Classification
  *   Demonstrated experience with WorldShare Collection Manager
  *   Demonstrated experience setting up APIs with an integrated library system
  *   Demonstrated experience with documenting technical processes

Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities

  *   Knowledge of electronic resources, serials, and/or cataloging standards and tools, such as KBART, OpenAthens, MarcEdit etc.
  *   Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills including meeting project deadlines
  *   Ability to work independently and to collaborate with others
  *   Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
  *   Working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheets
  *   Commitment to building and supporting diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility
Rank and Salary
Tenure-track, twelve-month faculty appointment at the rank of Assistant Librarian / Assistant Professor or Associate Librarian / Associate Professor. Starting salary: $60,000, commensurate with education and experience
Benefits
Relocation allowance available. Benefits include TIAA or Fidelity Investments, 22 days of annual leave, tuition reduction, and health insurance.

Additional Information:
Interested in learning more about this position or the application process? Attend a confidential information session via zoom:

Wednesday, August 30, 3-4 pm CDT: https://uark.libcal.com/event/11126011

The zoom link will be emailed to registered participants 24 hours prior to each session. We are aware that some people are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every qualification in the job description, including the preferred qualifications. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job and encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our preferred qualifications.

The University of Arkansas Libraries are in the midst of an exciting period of growth. Multiple facilities are currently undergoing renovations, which will result in the creation of spaces for innovative programming and resources. Under the new campus and University Libraries leadership, our collection is expanding to meet the growing research and instructional needs of our institution. New faculty positions and reimagined ones, combined with our facilities changes and collection growth, are transforming the University Libraries and our role on campus.

The University Libraries share in the stewardship of the University's goals and takes responsibility for the health of the research and teaching collections as well as programs that further support the academic mission. The University Libraries are comprised of Mullins Library and three branch libraries: Chemistry & Biochemistry, Fine Arts, and Physics, as well as two off-site facilities including an architecturally unique climate and humidity controlled 27,000 sq. ft. high density storage facility. For more information, visit the Libraries' home page (https://libraries.uark.edu<https://libraries.uark.edu/>).

Values of the University Libraries:
The University of Arkansas Libraries aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.

Enriching campus diversity and inclusion is a guiding principle at the University of Arkansas. The University of Arkansas Libraries asserts that the responsibility for creating, supporting, and maintaining an inclusive workplace belongs to all of us. We can strengthen our culture and organization by approaching each other and our work with intentional goodwill, honesty, empathy, and trust as we encourage others to hold themselves and each other accountable to do the same.

We are committed to enhancing the diversity of our workforce and we encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. For more information regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion and the University Libraries, please visit our website at https://libraries.uark.edu/diversity/.
Application Materials:
For the full posting, or to apply, please go to https://uasys.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/UASYS/job/Fayetteville/Electronic-Resources-Librarian--Open-Rank-_R0044425.  When completing your application, please upload the following: letter of application, curriculum vitae, and a list of three current references (names, addresses, emails, and telephone numbers).  Candidates who received international degrees in library and information science not accredited by ALA will need to submit the foreign credential evaluation determination.

The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to race/color, sex, gender, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal or state law.

Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.

Deb Kulczak
Director of Content Services
University of Arkansas Libraries<http://libraries.uark.edu/>
365 North McIlroy Avenue