[Metadatalibrarians] 2022 ALA Annual Program: Workflow Adapts to DEI Cataloging or ILS Migration

Sai Deng Sai.Deng at ucf.edu
Tue May 31 07:09:43 PDT 2022

*** Apologies for cross-posting ***

The ALA Core Technical Services Workflow Efficiency Interest Group (TSWEIG) is happy to announce its roundtable discussions to be held at the 2022 ALA Annual Conference.

Theme: Workflow Adapts to DEI Cataloging or ILS Migration

Time: June 26, Sunday, 4-5:00PM EST, 2022

Location: Washington Convention Center, 150B

Programs:

Repairing the Catalog: Implementing DEI to Cataloging and Authority Work

Discussion Facilitator: Whitney Buccicone, Director of Discovery Services, University of Virginia Library

Changing our practices in Technical Services to make our description (in subject headings, authority records, and more) focus on Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) and reparative work is crucial to our field these days. This discussion will focus on what work is being done at your institution, case studies from others, what blockers you may be facing in beginning this work and how DEI cataloging impacts your library’s workflow. We will discuss solutions to these blockers, how to implement DEI to cataloging as well as maximizing workflow efficiency for DEI cataloging.

Possible Discussion Questions:

What steps has your institution taken to applying DEI/reparative work in your description practices?

Have you heard of any other initiatives that other institutions have taken that you would like to share?

How does DEI cataloging affect your library’s workflow? How to improve workflow efficiency for DEI cataloging?

What blockers do you face in making progress in this area? How have you gotten administration buy-in for this work?

Migration Surprises: Workflows and Lessons Learned after Migration

Discussion Facilitators: Jennifer Eustis, Meghan Bergin, University of Massachusetts Amherst Libraries

Migration requires new workflows, workarounds, and new ways of approaching how librarians do their work at institutional as well as consortium levels. The facilitators of this roundtable will share their experiences of migrating to the open-source library services platform FOLIO at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and their consortium. It will include conversations about various aspects of transitioning during a migration and merge, such as training and documentation; metadata mapping and cleanup; the cutover process; and bumps encountered during go live and implementing full production using the new system.

Possible Discussion Questions:

How many of you have recently migrated or will migrate soon? Which library service platform did you or are you going to migrate to? How was that decision made?

What training did you conduct and how did you measure its effectiveness?

Did you decide to redo your documentation or update it for your new system?

When do you finish metadata cleanup? What lessons are we still learning from the migration process?

Thank you for your interest and participation!

ALA Core Technical Services Workflow Efficiency Interest Group Co-Chairs

Sai Deng (sai.deng at ucf.edu<mailto:sai.deng at ucf.edu>)
Yan Liao (ylia at loc.gov<mailto:ylia at loc.gov>)