[Metadatalibrarians] Announcing 23 Linked Data Things

Lizzy Baus ebaus at macalester.edu
Mon Aug 1 07:59:38 PDT 2022

23 Linked Data Things
<https://minitex.umn.edu/services/digital-initiatives-metadata/23-linked-data-things>
is
a self-paced online learning program that provides a structure for
investigating linked data projects and obtaining hands-on experience in
creating linked data. It is designed for library staff who want to learn
more about linked data principles and explore how linked data can transform
the way we think about metadata.

Based on the 23 Things educational project created by Helene Blowers in
2006, each "Thing" is a unit that is intended to take less than one hour to
complete. A "Thing" might include readings, videos, and/or tools to
explore, along with an activity designed to encourage critical thinking
about lessons learned.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE

As this is a self-paced program, it is up to you how you wish to
participate. You can go in numeric order, or select the specific Things
that are of most interest to you. Each Thing contains activities,
reflective questions, and the option to comment so everyone can learn from
each other. There is also an option to claim credit for your participation
and receive a certificate as you complete each Thing.

We will release new Things throughout 2022 and announce them via the
Minitex online newsletter and through social media using the hashtag
#23LinkedDataThings. If you would like to receive announcements with
updates about the program or connect with other participants, register here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSczxRvMrXALI8B9uRgN205AKPt2Q1v6FUpxdto0ruzsY-VqSA/viewform>
with
your name and email address and we’ll add you to the 23 Linked Data Things
discussion list.

   - View 23 Linked Data Things
   <https://minitex.umn.edu/services/digital-initiatives-metadata/23-linked-data-things>

ABOUT THE PROGRAM

23 Linked Data Things grew out of Wikidata Book Club, a group of interested
staff from several libraries in the Upper Midwest who started meeting
monthly to learn more about that resource and how libraries were utilizing
it as an on-ramp to linked data creation and experimentation. We author the
Things, though we occasionally seek out colleagues who are actively working
in a particular area to edit or co-author a Thing.

Regular authors include:

   - Greta Bahnemann, Metadata Librarian, Minitex
   - Lizzy Baus, Metadata Librarian, Macalester College
   - Kristi Bergland, Music Metadata Librarian, University of Minnesota
   Libraries
   - Violet Fox, Cataloging and Metadata Librarian, Northwestern University
   - Cecilia Genereux, Continuing Resources Metadata Librarian, University
   of Minnesota Libraries
   - Hsianghui Liu-Spencer, Cataloging & Digital Services Librarian,
   Carleton College
   - Sara Ring, Continuing Education Librarian, Minitex

*Lizzy Baus*

*she/her/hers*
Metadata Librarian
DeWitt Wallace Library
651-696-6344 | ebaus at macalester.edu
1600 Grand Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55105 USA

[image: mac-sec-horizontal-logo-150w.jpg]