[Metadatalibrarians] Call for participation in the Metadata Working Group, part of DLF Assessment Interest Group

Chartier, Madison madison.chartier at okstate.edu
Thu Jan 30 06:28:33 PST 2020

Good morning everyone!

I am delighted to initiate a call for participation in the 2020 DLF Assessment Interest Group Metadata Working Group.  This is a fantastic group to be a part of, and we hope you will consider joining us and collaborating on exciting innovative work with MWG.  We have our first meeting of the year this afternoon at 1:15 p.m. EST, with details on how to connect in the message below.  Please join us!  We would love to have you!

Regards,

Madison Chartier

=================

This email is an invitation to participate in the DLF Assessment Interest Group's (DLF AIG) working group on metadata<https://wiki.diglib.org/Assessment:Metadata> in 2020. There is more information about the group below, but first, a few words about participating in DLF AIG.

The only requirement for participation in a DLF AIG working group is a willingness to dig in and devote a small part of your time contributing to the tools, methods, and body of knowledge on digital library assessment. Attendance at the DLF forum is not a requirement for participation in any of the working groups. Additionally, if your institution is not a DLF member, you can still participate. Anyone with an interest in metadata and willingness to participate is welcome to join the DLF AIG Metadata Working Group.

Metadata Working Group Goals for 2019

Here's what we worked on in 2019!

*         Website updated with new theme and simplified structure<http://dlfmetadataassessment.github.io/>. Skillbuilding documentation developed<http://dlfmetadataassessment.github.io/Skillbuilding>.

*         Metadata Benchmarks Survey developed and released<http://dlfmetadataassessment.github.io/MetadataBenchmarks>.

*         Metadata Tools Repository developed<https://github.com/DLFMetadataAssessment/Tools/wiki>.

*         Held initial discussions on how to update the Metadata Application Profile Clearinghouse Site<https://dlfmetadataassessment.github.io/MetadataSpecsClearinghouse/>.

*         Environmental Scan Update Group formed. Tasks mapped out and literature review begun.

Metadata Working Group Goals for 2020

We're still working on setting our goals for 2020, but here are a few things we're planning:

*         Transitioning to a new group structure that allows the entire group to work on projects, rather than dividing project work between appointed subgroups.

*         White paper based on the results from the Metadata Benchmarks Survey.

*         Continue updating the Environmental Scan<http://dlfmetadataassessment.github.io/EnvironmentalScan>.

*         Continue adding to the Tools Repository<https://github.com/DLFMetadataAssessment/Tools/wiki>.

*         Ongoing maintenance of the group website<http://dlfmetadataassessment.github.io/>.

How can you participate?

*         Join the Metadata Working Group Google Group<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/dlf-aig-metadata-assessment-working-group> to get announcements and agendas for upcoming meetings.

*         Comment on the 2020 Work Plan & Call for Participation<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jpZ7-jL331AYa0QhMQtJy3BrTTGR9QVL0-06Ge51gqU/edit?usp=sharing> to help us set priorities and directions for work in the upcoming year.

*         Join us for our 2020 Kickoff Meeting on Thursday, January 30th at 1:15 pm Eastern / 12:15 pm Central / 11:15 am Mountain / 10:15 am Pacific. Details on how to connect can be found via our wiki page<https://wiki.diglib.org/Assessment:Metadata#Call_.28Zoom.29_Information>.

For questions about the larger DLF Assessment Interest Group, contact the DLF AIG co-leaders, Sara Rubinow sararubinow at nypl.org<mailto:sararubinow at nypl.org> and Santi Thompson sathompson3 at uh.edu<mailto:sathompson3 at uh.edu>.

Thank you for participating in the DLF AIG! Please feel free to forward to any groups you feel might be interested, and feel free to contact us if you have any questions about participating.

Madison Chartier, madison.chartier at okstate.edu<mailto:madison.chartier at okstate.edu>, Kate Flynn, kef at chicagocollections.org<mailto:kef at chicagocollections.org>/kef at uic.edu<mailto:kef at uic.edu> & Anna Neatrour, anna.neatrour at utah.edu<mailto:anna.neatrour at utah.edu>

Co-facilitators, Metadata Working Group