[Metadatalibrarians] New policy regarding limited use of ISBD punctuation in bibliographic records

Jennifer W. Baxmeyer bax at Princeton.EDU
Fri Oct 18 11:34:47 PDT 2019

(Please excuse cross-posting.)

Hi everyone,

In April, Xiaoli Li sent out an email outlining a phased approach for implementing the policy regarding limited use of punctuation in PCC bibliographic records (see below).

While the work for preparing for the implementation of Phase 2 is still ongoing, the PCC Policy Committee (PoCo) has completed its review of the pros and cons of omitting final punctuation in access point fields. Given that final punctuation is not part of authorized access points in authority records, PoCo has decided that omission of final punctuation in authorized access points in bibliographic records should be allowed as well. It was also decided that it would be better to implement this change along with Phase 2 to avoid the need for both participants and tool developers to deal with this matter twice.

Beginning January 2, 2020, PCC libraries will have three options regarding the use of punctuation when newly authenticating bibliographic records:

a.      Fully punctuate any field when descriptive cataloging form is recorded as "ISBD punctuation included" (leader/18=i)

b.      Omit final punctuation when descriptive cataloging form is recorded as "ISBD punctuation included" (Leader/18=i)

c.       Omit final punctuation and punctuation between subfields* when descriptive cataloging form is recorded as "ISBD punctuation omitted" (Leader/18=c)

* Exception: For MARC fields in ranges 1xx, 240, 6xx, 7xx, and 8xx, only punctuation that separates access points from relationship designators can be omitted. The punctuation within access points should not be omitted.

Special note: when updating an existing PCC record, catalogers should follow the punctuation pattern already established in that record.

Options b or c are optional, not mandatory. However, I would like to reiterate the benefits of implementing options b or c: creating records with limited punctuation is expected to save time for catalogers, simplify training of new catalogers, make it easier to map data to and from other formats, and allow for an easier transition to linked data or vice versa (e.g., mapping BIBFRAME to MARC).

The draft version of these guidelines (that may be subject to change) are now available on the PCC website: http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/documents/PCC-Guidelines-Minimally-Punctuated-MARC-Data-draft.docx. The final version will be posted on December 15, 2019, in preparation for the implementation date of January 2, 2020.

In the next few months, we will:

1.      Post guidelines and training materials and specifications for automatically removing or adding punctuation as they become available;

2.      Request that LC Network Development and MARC Standards Office and bibliographic utilities revise MARC 21 documentation to include examples with limited punctuation;

3.      Work with bibliographic utilities and other interested parties to develop tools to automate the process of removal or reinsertion of punctuation. (OCLC macros for adding or deleting punctuation in Connexion will be ready before January 2, 2020.);

4.      Encourage vendors, bibliographic utilities, etc., to explore functionality to index and display records with limited punctuation as defined by the PCC;

5.      Encourage vendors, bibliographic utilities, etc., to explore functionality to allow their users to easily add or remove punctuation as needed.

As stated above, this policy intends to cover the use of punctuation when newly authenticating bibliographic records. It may be extended in the future to facilitate the work of catalogers or batch processes dealing with legacy PCC records.

Please let me know if you have any questions (bax at princeton.edu<mailto:bax at princeton.edu>).
Sincerely,

Jennifer Baxmeyer
Chair, PCC Policy Committee
--
Interim Assistant University Librarian for Metadata Services
Princeton University Library