[Metadatalibrarians] Job posting: Faculty Position at Simmons SLIS

Daniel Joudrey joudrey at simmons.edu
Fri Oct 11 13:52:08 PDT 2019

The School of Library and Information Science at Simmons University in
Boston
invites applications for a contract faculty position to begin July 1, 2020
(start date negotiable). As a mission-driven institution, we invite
applications from library and information science professionals who share
our
passion and commitment to empowering people with information.

School of Library and Information Science at Simmons University combines
theory with professional practice to enable students to succeed, thrive, and
become leaders in the field. Simmons University is a small, highly
collegial,
and dynamic university located in the heart of Boston’s world-renowned
Longwood Medical Area. We make use of the vibrant library, archives,
cultural
heritage and technology community in Boston to enhance our faculty and
student
experiences.

We seek an innovative educator with dedication to graduate teaching and
mentoring, and a commitment to interdisciplinary collaboration inside and
outside the University. The successful candidate will be expected to teach
on
a 12-month contract, advise students, contribute to curriculum development,
and provide service to the university. We are especially interested in
candidates whose areas of expertise include:

- theoretical and practical aspects of information organization and
bibliographic cataloging;
- semantic Web standards (linked data, RDF, RDFS, OWL, SKOS, ontology
development, microdata);
- archives of visual resources and records management.

As a University committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, we seek
candidates with a demonstrated ability to work with students across a broad
range of social and personal identities and perspectives. We particularly
encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups.

We are open to individuals interested in, and qualified for, either of the
following positions. Please note that we are filling only one position at
this
time:

- *Non-Tenure Track (NTT) Assistant Professor* - Candidates will have a
Ph.D.
in library and information science or a related field by the time the
appointment begins. Assistant Professor NTT appointments do not carry
research
expectations, but an interest in engaging in pedagogical research is a plus.
Assistant Professors NTT carry a teaching load of seven courses a year (or
the
equivalent). Candidates will have strong teaching experience, with
demonstrated excellence and innovation in teaching.

- *Professor of Practice* - Candidates will have an M.S. or M.A. in
library and information science or a related field, and substantial
professional experience (five years or more). Appointments may be made at
the
Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor of Practice rank, depending on
experience. Professors of Practice carry a teaching load of seven courses a
year (or the equivalent), and must maintain currency in the field through
consulting or active engagement with the professional community. Candidates
will have demonstrated teaching experience or strong potential to excel at
teaching.

*Application Instructions*

To apply, please submit a cover letter (including the title of the position
for which you are applying), a CV, and a teaching statement at
https://tinyurl.com/SimmonsSLIS-position.

Additional supporting materials to document excellence in teaching, such as
course evaluations and syllabi of courses taught, are optional and welcomed.

Application review will begin on December 1, 2019, and will continue until
the
position is filled. Three letters of recommendation will be requested of
selected applicants following an initial review of applications. If you have
questions about the position, please email Dr. Kyong Eun Oh at
kyongeun.oh at simmons.edu.

*Background Information*

The School of Library and Information Science (SLIS) houses the ALA-
accredited, graduate M.S. program in Library and Information Science. SLIS
is
part of the College of Organizational, Computational, and
Information Sciences (COCIS), which also includes the Division of
Mathematics
and Computer Science and the School of Business. COCIS nurtures a supportive
and collaborative environment by embracing the principles of diversity and
identity inclusion, developing the next generation of critical thinkers,
problem solvers, and principled leaders who can solve the global challenges
of
the 21st century.

*Daniel N. Joudrey, Ph.D.*
Professor
School of Library and Information Science (SLIS)
College of Computational, Organizational, and Information Sciences (COCIS)
Simmons University
300 The Fenway, P-205B
Boston, MA 02115                           617.521.2863

*Pronouns*: *he/him/his*
*Twitter*:
*@dnjoudrey <https://twitter.com/dnjoudrey>*
*Author of: **https://bit.ly/2kbS6El <https://bit.ly/2kbS6El> **and