[Metadatalibrarians] Call for participation in Metadata Working Group, part of DLF Assessment Interest Group
Anna L Neatrour
anna.neatrour at utah.edu
Mon Jan 8 09:21:00 PST 2018
This email is an invitation to participate in the DLF Assessment Interest Group's (DLF AIG) working group on metadata<https://wiki.diglib.org/Assessment:Metadata> in 2018. There is more information about the group below, but first, a few words about participating in DLF AIG.
The only requirement for participation in a DLF AIG working group is a willingness to dig in and devote a small part of your time contributing to the tools, methods, and body of knowledge on digital library assessment. Attendance at the DLF forum is not a requirement for participation in any of the working groups. Additionally, if your institution is not a DLF member, you can still participate.
Metadata Working Group in 2017
The goals for 2017, set in our kick-off meeting, included:
* Updating the structure of the Github site created for last year's Environmental Scan to support expansion and ongoing work including creating mechanism for people to submit updates & feedback.
* Reviewing and expanding list of metadata assessment tools gathered as part of the Environmental Scan. Begin testing tools gathered as part of the Environmental Scan in order to eventually create a repository for metadata assessment tools
* Creating a Metadata Application Profile Clearinghouse that can be used as a community repository for application profiles, mappings and guidelines for metadata.
* Creating a general framework document on how to assess metadata that can be used for the galleries, libraries, archives & museums (GLAM) community.
* Collaborating with other institutions on metadata assessment and analysis workshop work.
Metadata Working Group Goals for 2018
The group is currently working on setting our goals and work plan for 2018. Potential projects include:
* Finish restructuring the Metadata Working Group site and documenting the work
* Gather content for the Metadata Application Profile Clearinghouse site
* Review and revise the Metadata Analysis Workshop
* Create a Metadata analysis tools repository
* Create a space where participants could share expertise and learn about new tools or projects related to metadata assessment and analysis.
* Generate benchmarks for metadata quality.
How can you participate?
* Join the Metadata Working Group Google Group<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/dlf-aig-metadata-assessment-working-group> to get announcements and agendas for upcoming meetings
* Comment on the 2018 Work Plan<https://docs.google.com/document/d/15lJZzpSNbo95ca6MNbDb_7s4aRzqk7j20i6Bl1zAMuQ/edit?usp=sharing> to help us set priorities and directions for work in the upcoming year
* Join us for our 2018 Kickoff Meeting on Thursday, January 25th at 11 am Eastern / 10 am Central / 9 am Mountain / 8 am Pacific.
For questions about the larger DLF Assessment Interest Group, contact the DLF AIG co-leaders, Sara Rubinow sararubinow at nypl.org<mailto:sararubinow at nypl.org> and Santi Thompson sathompson3 at uh.edu.
Thank you for participating in the DLF AIG! Please feel free to forward to any groups you feel might be interested.
Kate Flynn, kef at chicagocollections.org<mailto:kef at chicagocollections.org> & Anna Neatrour, anna.neatrour at utah.edu<mailto:anna.neatrour at utah.edu>
Co-facilitators, Metadata Working Group
More information about the Metadatalibrarians