[Metadatalibrarians] Reminder: Linked Library Data Interest Group Program @ ALA Midwinter 2018

Scott Carlson sjc5 at rice.edu
Mon Feb 5 13:19:33 PST 2018

LITA/ALCTS Linked Library Data Interest Group Meeting at ALA Midwinter
in Denver, Colorado

Please join us for three exciting presentations on linked data name
authority projects. After our speaker presentations, the group will have
an opportunity for questions and discussion.

Time: Saturday, February 10, 2018 8:30-10:00 AM
Location: Colorado Convention Center, Rm 705/707
Session Name: "I Know Very Well How I Got My Name": Linked Data
Authority Projects

1. "What works and what doesn't? Name Reconciliation Work and Management
of Digitized Special Collections"

As libraries transform and publish their data as linked open data, they
face a number of challenges. Included among these challenges are two key
questions: How can we recognize and reconcile named entities already
described in established linked open data sources, and how can we best
manage unique names often found in local special collections’ data, but
not found elsewhere? Funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the
Linked Open Data (LOD) for Digitized Special Collections project at the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Library has provided an
opportunity to address these two questions through lessons learned from
three of the University Library’s digitized special collections, two
image-based theater collections, and a TEI-encoded text collection. This
presentation illustrates how the project has combined manual and
automatic reconciliation processes to improve the matching results, and
an approach to creating and publishing local name authority files in an
LOD format.

Speaker:
Myung-Ja ("MJ") K. Han is a Metadata Librarian and Associate Professor
of Library Administration at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign. Her research focuses on interoperability of metadata,
metadata modeling, bibliographic control in the digital library
environment, and the use of Linked Open Data in library service
architectures and implementations.

2. "Western Name Authority File: Linking People and Corporate Bodies"

The Western Name Authority File (WNAF) project was funded by an IMLS
planning grant in early 2016 to explore and pilot a system for
developing a collaborative, regional authority file for personal names
and corporate bodies from digital collection metadata. We presented the
background and issues to be explored at the Linked Library Data Interest
Group at ALA Annual 2016, and now as we near the end of the two year
grant, we will provide an update on the data model we've chosen for our
vocabulary, what we've done to collect and reconcile names from a
variety of partner institutions, and the emerging vocabulary workflows
that we're in the process of developing in order to make the WNAF
available as linked open data.

Speakers:
Anna Neatrour is the Digital Initiatives Librarian at the University of
Utah J. Willard Marriott Library. She previously was a metadata
librarian at the Marriott Library and at the Mountain West Digital
Library. She received her MLIS from the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign.
Jeremy Myntti is Head of Digital Library Services at the University of
Utah J. Willard Marriott Library. This position allows him the
opportunity to work closely with faculty and staff who are digitizing,
creating metadata, and digitally preserving library and partner content.
He received his MLIS from the University of Alabama.

3. "Introducing Cedar: a Linked Data Authority Service at the University
of Houston Libraries"

In 2016, as part of the development of a new digital access and
preservation ecosystem, the University of Houston Libraries established
Cedar, a local linked data thesaurus. Using SKOS, Cedar includes terms
for subjects, individual and organization names, place names, and time
periods found in the Libraries’ digital library and electronic theses
and dissertations (ETD) collection from the UH institutional repository.
While Cedar includes terms from national authority files, it also
accommodates locally created terms with emphasis on personal,
organization, and place names. Over the last two years, the metadata
unit has deployed the software and developed strategies and workflows
for term entry and use in our digital production workflows.
Additionally, we collaborated with our cataloging unit to leverage this
system to perform authority control in traditional MARC cataloging for
ETDs in a more efficient way. This presentation will outline the
development of the tool focusing on the thesaurus design, the workflow
of creating local authority records, the use of the application, as well
as lessons learned and future directions.

Speakers:
Xiping Liu is a Resource Description Librarian at the University of
Houston M.D. Anderson Library. She is responsible for original
cataloging library materials in all formats. She received her MLIS from
Rutgers University.
Anne Washington is the Metadata Librarian at the University of Houston
M.D. Anderson Library. She is responsible for managing metadata creation
and maintenance for the University of Houston Digital Library. She
received her MLIS from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
Andrew Weidner is the Metadata Services Coordinator at the University of
Houston M.D. Anderson Library where he oversees digitization and
metadata for digital collections. He received his MLIS from the
University of North Texas.

-- Scott Carlson
Metadata Coordinator
Rice University, Fondren Library