[Metadatalibrarians] Help with outdated and offensive terms in metadata

Jeude Kirsten K.Jeude at zbw.eu
Fri Jun 23 00:47:04 PDT 2017

Dear Erica,

I once worked in a project for the digitization of a german historical press archive. We had similar questions when working on the years 1930-45. The folders carried discriminating titels, which were used at that time.

As the parts of the archive with this folders are not online, there is no final solution I could show you. But we came to a point of view, that we cannot change the titles. As an archive we should document the history and not change it. BUT: we thought it is really important to add context to the presentation and not just present them like they are. We could add an explanation and add alternative terms for searching. This brings us to another problem: the indexing of that discriminating terms by search engines. For that I do not know, how to deal with it. But as I said: We did not solve the problem in real life. This post represents a discussion years ago.

Best regards,

Kirsten

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

KIRSTEN JEUDE

Metadata Management

ZBW – German National Library of Economics

Leibniz Information Centre for Economics

Neuer Jungfernstieg 21

20354 Hamburg

T: +49-40-42834-295

E: k.jeude at zbw.eu