[Metadatalibrarians] Help with outdated and offensive terms in metadata

Erica FINDLEY ericaf at multcolib.org
Fri Jun 9 11:05:07 PDT 2017

Good morning,
At my library, we are working on a digital collection of works created as
part of the Oregon Federal Art Project
<https://gallery.multcolib.org/collection/oregon-federal-arts-project>
during the late 30's and early 40's. Some of the pieces of art have titles
like "Basota negroid bust" or "Indian Habitat Diorama" and "Indian
ceremonial dance".

Since these terms are part of the title, I am not sure what to do. Do I
keep the titles, but make some kind of note in these?

Please help! If you can point me to any readings on this that would also be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Erica

*Erica Findley*
*Cataloging | Metadata Librarian*
Multnomah County Library
Isom Building
My schedule: Monday-Friday 8:00 am-5:00 pm
Phone: 503.988.5466
multcolib.org <http://www.multcolib.org/>