[Metadatalibrarians] DC-2017 Special Session: Linked Data for Production (LD4P)

DCMI Announce announce at dublincore.net
Sat Aug 12 05:42:27 PDT 2017

********PLEASE EXCUSE THE CROSS-POSTING********

*Linked Data for Production (LD4P): Technical services workflow evolution
through Tracer Bullets*
   *Special Session at DC-2017, Washington, D.C., 26-29 October 2017*

=======================================
*:: Stanford University Presenters: *
       *Arcadia Falcone*, *Metadata Coordinator*
       *Josh Greben*, *Systems Programmer/Analyst*
       *Nancy Lorimer*, *Head, Metadata Department*
      * Christina Harlow*, *Digital Repository, Data Operations*
      * Philip Schreur*, *Associate University Librarian for Technical and
Access Services*
*:: Time:* 1:30-3:00 DST
*:: Date:* Thursday, 26 October 2017
*:: Session Homepage:*
http://dcevents.dublincore.org/IntConf/index/pages/view/sp17-ld4p
*:: Registration:*
http://dcevents.dublincore.org/IntConf/index/pages/view/reg17
=======================================

SESSION DESCRIPTION:

Linked Data for Production (LD4P) is a Mellon-supported collaboration
between six institutions (Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Library of Congress,
Princeton, and Stanford) to begin the transition of technical services
production workflows to ones based in Linked Open Data (LOD). This first
phase of the transition focuses on the development of the ability to
produce metadata as LOD communally, the enhancement of the BIBFRAME
ontology to encompass the multiple resource formats that academic libraries
must process, and the engagement of the broader academic library community
to ensure a sustainable and extensible environment. As its name implies,
LD4P is focused on the immediate needs of metadata production such as
ontology coverage and workflow transition. The focus of LD4P is on the
identification, evaluation and adaption of existing viable tools to
immediate production needs. A related project, LD4L-Labs, focuses on
solutions that can be implemented in production at research libraries
within the next three to five years. Their efforts focus on the enhancement
and development of existing or new linked data creation and editing tools,
exploration of linked data relationships, analysis of the graph to directly
improve discovery, BIBFRAME ontology development, piloting efforts in URI
persistence, and metadata conversion tool development needed by LD4P and
the broader library community.

As part of LD4P, Stanford is leading the development of a Performed Music
Ontology and is converting four key technical services production pathways
from MARC-based to RDF-based in a project called the Tracer Bullets. In
this panel, we will discuss our work on these projects, highlighting
achievements and difficulties of current efforts, as well as plans for
future work. In this panel, we plan to discuss our work on these projects,
highlighting achievements and difficulties of current efforts, as well as
plans for future work. On the Performed Music Ontology, we will discuss our
work on extending BIBFRAME 2 with community input to better support
description of music artifacts. With regards to the “Tracer Bullets”, we
will go through the progress on our four designated end-to- end pathways:
vendor-supplied copy-cataloging (Tracer Bullet 1); original cataloging
(Tracer Bullet 2); deposit of a single item to the Digital Repository
(Tracer Bullet 3); and ingestion of a collection into the Digital
Repository (Tracer Bullet 4). We have examined each of these pathways, from
acquisition to discovery. Based on that analysis, we are converting all key
elements in those workflows to a process rooted in linked data, balanced
with the current needs and resources of the systems interacting with those
pathways. Our emphasis is on the completeness of the pathway, and we plan
for the workflows themselves to be expanded in the future to account for
additional complexities and fully leveraging the capabilities of the RDF
data models once our initial pathway has been established.

For these tracer bullet pathways, Stanford is developing parallel
processing streams. Resources flowing through these pathways will be
processed in the traditional way with MARC or MODS-based metadata. A
parallel, linked data workflow will be created for LD4P and duplicative
metadata created. This metadata currently feeds into a parallel discovery
environment so that we mimic the entire processing workflow. The metadata
can also be sent to various library vendors and programs so that they can
begin to adjust their businesses to incorporate linked data. Although this
solution requires duplicative effort, it will allow Stanford to experiment
with an alternative pathway without being dependent on the results for
discovery. It also has the benefit of testing the new pathway with actual
library resources and staff so that a true measure of effort and cost to
implement the new paradigm can be evaluated.

LD4P has completed the first year of its two-year grant and has made
substantial process on the Tracer Bullets. In our panel presentation, we’d
like to focus on five main areas:

PANEL PRESENTATIONS:

*Introduction: General information on the goals of LD4P and its context in
the current library technical services paradigm*

Philip Schreur, *Associate University Librarian for Technical and Access
Services*

*Workflow analysis for Tracer Bullets 1 & 2 including the testing of Tracer
Bullet 1 with actual library data*

Arcadia Falcone, *Metadata Coordinator*

*MARC Data Enhancement and Conversion: Suggestions for enhancements to MARC
data to make their conversion to RDF cleaner and our testing of MARC to
BIBFRAME 2.0 conversion*

Josh Greben, *Systems Programmer/Analyst*
Nancy Lorimer, *Head, Metadata Department*

*Tooling: Experimentation with current tools available to support Tracer
Bullets 1 & 2 along with their enhancement and new tool development*

Josh Greben, *Systems Programmer/Analyst*
Nancy Lorimer, *Head, Metadata Department*

*Digital Repository: Initial exploration of Tracer Bullets 3 & 4 and their
implications for the Stanford Digital Repository*

Christina Harlow, Digital Repository, Data Operations