[Metadatalibrarians] ALA Annual 2016: ALCTS CaMMS Cataloging Norms IG Program (Hyatt, Florida Ballroom C, Saturday 10:30-11:30 AM)

Matveyeva, Susan Susan.Matveyeva at wichita.edu
Mon May 9 12:08:22 PDT 2016

---Apologies for cross-posting---

The Cataloging Norms Interest Group will meet in the Hyatt Regency Orlando, Florida Ballroom C, 10:30-11:30 AM, on Saturday, June 25. The meeting will include the following two presentations:

1) Fearless Transformation: Applying OpenRefine to Digital Collections / Kara Long, Cataloging and Metadata Librarian, Baylor University Libraries

The Baylor University Library launched its first digitization project in 1999, with the Spencer Collection of American Popular Sheet Music. The first phase of the project was to scan and place online 1,000 pieces of music, out of the nearly 30,000 pieces in the print collection. The digital collection now comprises over 8,000 titles of American sheet music from the 18th to the 20th centuries. A major challenge throughout the project has been generating rich metadata for the digital objects, and to coordinate this effort between the Fine Arts Library, the Digital Projects Team, and the Cataloging and Metadata Unit of Baylor University. In 2008, the Library contracted with Flourish Music Cataloging to provide outsource the creation of MARC records describing the print collection. These records are transformed into metadata describing the digital collection as well.

This presentation will cover the evolving metadata workflow, and demonstrate the most recent change - implementing OpenRefine to quality check, and transform metadata from MARC to Dublin Core. This transformed metadata is used to generate a metadata load file for CONTENTdm, our digital collections platform. This presentation will interest cataloging and metadata librarians, especially those interested in OpenRefine, and those interested in metadata creation in a hybrid environments or collections.

2) BIBFRAME Pilot Training / Judith P. Cannan, Chief, Cooperative & Instructional Programs and Paul Frank, Acting Coordinator, NACO and SACO Programs, Library of Congress

This presentation is a concise analysis of the training plan and results based on the LC BIBFRAME Pilot Phase one. It will explain what LC was trying to measure when it conducted the first BIBRAME pilot and what it was not trying to measure. It will cover the initial workflow and how it changed through the course of the pilot as improvements to the system became functional. How we developed the training and what we learned during the course of the pilot about the training needs of the pilot participants. Finally we will cover what we learned and how that measured against the outcomes we were seeking.

The LC BIBFRAME Pilot ran from October 2015 through March 2016.
The presenters will describe the:
                --conditions under which the pilot functioned
                --limitations and why we proceeded when we did
                --changes in workflow as the Pilot proceeded
                --initial training provided to participants
                --follow-up meetings that lead to refresher training
                --refresher training
                --lessons learned
                --best practices

Susan Matveyeva and Robert Rohrbacher, Co-Chairs, Cataloging Norms IG

Susan Matveyeva, PhD, MLIS, B.Mus
Associate Professor, Catalog &
Institutional Repository Librarian
Wichita State University Libraries