[Metadatalibrarians] Jobs: Digital Project Librarians @ Ohio University Libraries
carleton at ohio.edu
Fri Mar 25 14:02:43 PDT 2016
Digital Projects Librarian (2 positions; 2-year term)
Ohio University Libraries seeks two teamwork-oriented individuals to advance the Ohio University Libraries’ expanding digital presence and digital curation program. The Digital Projects Librarian (Digital Initiatives)<http://www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/postings/18224> will report to the Digital Initiatives Coordinator, and focus on the technical aspects of digital project production such as managing imaging, metadata creation, and ingest. The Digital Projects Librarian (Arts & Archives)<http://www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/postings/18311> will report to the Head of Arts and Archives and focus on collections research and description.
The successful candidates will work together to advance the Ohio University Libraries’ expanding digital presence and digital curation program. We seek candidates that are committed to working effectively with students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds; willing to learn and develop professionally; and energized by an exciting future.
* The Digital Projects Librarians will support the Ohio University Libraries’ efforts to advance its digital presence in the execution of digital projects and the laying of a foundation for a robust digital curation program. These duties include but are not limited to:
* • Collaborate with Libraries staff to select, research, and describe collections
* • Engage in enhanced processing and description of collections, such as the creation or enhancement of finding aids
* • Create, review, and enhance metadata according to recognized standards
* • Engages in research on and about collections
* • Support successful project management through all stages of the digitization chain
* • Engage in documentation and analysis of workflows in order to develop and document procedures
* • Contribute to development of digital preservation policies
* • Create written content about Libraries’ collections for electronic publications and platforms
* • Engage in regular professional development through research, publications, presentations, and participation in regional and national associations as part of the continuing commitment to bring best practices and innovative services to the Ohio University Libraries.
* A master’s degree from an ALA-accredited institution; or a master’s in archival science or public history
* Knowledge of standards and best practices for archival description, metadata, digitization, and handling and preserving special collections materials
* Demonstrated ability to manage projects, including the ability to structure and plan work effectively to meet established deadlines
* Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively both collaboratively and independently
* Experience in digitization production environment
* Experience working in an academic library setting
* Supervisor experience
* Understanding of intellectual property, privacy, and other rights issues
* Familiarity with digital curation standards and best practices
Ohio University Libraries takes pride in providing outstanding service to all its clientele. University Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the Center for Research Libraries, and a founding member of OhioLINK. The Libraries’ facilities include the Vernon R. Alden Library, the Music and Dance Library and the Southeast Ohio Regional Library Depository. With over 3,300,000 volumes, 2,000,000+ e-books and 55,000 e-journals, OHIO has one of the largest academic libraries in North America. During the 2012/2013 academic year, the Libraries received nearly 2,000,000 visits, 5,000,000+ database and catalog searches, and close to 12,000 virtual reference transactions.
Ohio University is a comprehensive, state-assisted institution that is classified by the Carnegie Foundation as a Research Universities (high research activity) institution. Ohio University, located in the scenic foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, shares the City of Athens, a culturally-rich sustainable community 75 miles southeast of Columbus and 156 miles east of Cincinnati. There are 21,000 students enrolled on the Athens campus, more than 10,000 students on the five regional campuses and 4,000 eLearning students. The University offers a diverse, dynamic and collegial atmosphere to all its students, faculty and staff.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and education. Ohio University employees enjoy a liberal benefits package, including 22 days annual vacation, generous insurance, and Ohio state employee or alternative retirement. The Libraries are committed to professional development to both strengthen new librarians’ knowledge in subject disciplines and to further their expertise in the profession.
Review of applications begins immediately; however applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is identified. For full consideration, apply by April 13, 2016.
Please apply online at:
• Digital Projects Librarian (Arts & Archives): (http://www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/postings/18311)
• Digital Projects Librarian (Digital Initiatives): (http://www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/postings/18224)
A complete application contains a CV or resume, cover letter addressing your interest and qualifications for all of the position requirements and any of the position preferences, and a list of three professional references including email and phone contact information. Applicants are welcome to apply for either or both of the positions.
Ohio University is committed to the diversity of faculty, staff and students. Applicants who will enrich the diversity of our campus are especially encouraged to apply.
More information about the Metadatalibrarians