[Metadatalibrarians] Any OCLC Digital Gateway experiences?

Sandra McIntyre sandra.mcintyre at utah.edu
Wed Sep 23 09:17:40 PDT 2015

I haven't worked with BE Press DigitalCommons going into OCLC via the Digital Gateway, but, from my experience harvesting OAI feeds out of DigitalCommons repositories for the Mountain West Digital Library regional portal, I know that the "qualified-dublin-core" metadata format in the DigitalCommons OAI feeds is different from the metadata format specified by the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative.  BE Press applies its own proprietary schema, http://www.bepress.com/assets/xsd/oai_qualified_dc.xsd, which formats the usual QDC refinements differently, e.g., "dc:date.created" instead of the expected "dcterms:created", and adds its own new elements and refinements, such as "dc:thesis.degree.grantor" and "dc:coverage.spatial.lat". While this may be useful for some purposes somewhere, it certainly interferes with services based on internationally accepted schemata and protocols, like OCLC's DG service and MWDL's aggregation service.

Sandra
Sandra McIntyre  |  Director, Mountain West Digital Library
sandra.mcintyre at utah.edu  |  +1-801-585-0969  |  http://mwdl.org