[Metadatalibrarians] Leadership Position Available: Director, Metadata and Digital Strategies -- Hamilton College

Lisa McFall lmcfall at hamilton.edu
Mon Jul 27 05:45:49 PDT 2015

Library and Information Technology Services – Hamilton College

*LEADERSHIP POSITION AVAILABLE*

*Director, Metadata and Digital Strategies*

Hamilton College seeks a dynamic, innovative, and forward-thinking leader
to join the strategic leadership team of an integrated information services
organization.  This is a perfect professional opportunity for someone who
enjoys collaborating with others to help guide Hamilton’s digital future
while maintaining its excellence in traditional media.  We are looking for
an individual with a demonstrated ability to build strong and lasting
relationships with members of the academic community. The director provides
leadership for cataloging, metadata creation, library information systems,
digitization, data curation and preservation and is a major partner in our
support for digital scholarship.  The director will help keep Library and
Information Technology Services (LITS) future-focused in a rapidly changing
information resources environment and represent Hamilton in local, regional
and national settings. The director reports to the VP for Libraries and
Information Technology.

Hamilton and LITS are innovators in supporting teaching, learning and
faculty/ student scholarship.   With grant funding from the Andrew W.
Mellon Foundation, LITS staff are actively engaged in an internationally
recognized effort to support digital scholarship through the Digital
Humanities Initiative ( <http://www.dhinitiative.org/>
<http://www.dhinitiative.org/>http://www.dhinitiative.org/).

In 2014, Hamilton and Colgate joined edX
<http://www.hamilton.edu/news/story/hamilton-college-and-colgate-university-announce-joint-membership-in-edx>
 to experiment with online learning <http://www.hamilton.edu/lits/moocs>,
promote the public scholarship of our faculty, and enhance our intellectual
connection with alumni.  The following year, together with Davidson and
Wellesley, the four liberal arts colleges formed *Liberal Arts Online: A
Digital Teaching and Learning* *Collaborative* to share our experiences and
work together to better understand the potential impact of online and
blended learning for our residential institutions.

In LITS, we have a broad program of employing students in substantive
support roles, both to deliver excellent services, and to develop
information and technology skills that they can apply throughout their
careers.  Our research tutor program provides opportunity for students to
provide research support to their peers under the guidance of our research
librarians.  Similar programs exist to provide technology support to
faculty and students.

Hamilton is a member of important national and regional consortia including
the Oberlin Group ( <http://www.oberlingroup.org/>
<http://www.oberlingroup.org/>http://www.oberlingroup.org/), ConnectNY (
<http://connectny.org/> <http://connectny.org/>http://connectny.org/), the
Consortium of Liberal Arts Colleges ( <http://www.liberalarts.org/>
www.liberalarts.org) and the Council on Library and Information Resources (
<http://clir.org/> <http://clir.org/>http://clir.org) and has a commitment
to the ongoing professional development of its employees.

            Hamilton College is a residential liberal arts college and a
national leader in teaching students to write effectively, learn from each
other and think for themselves. Excellent faculty, highly capable and
motivated students, and a student faculty ratio of 9:1, provide an
educational experience that emphasizes academic excellence and the
development of students as human beings, to prepare them to make choices
and accept the responsibilities of citizenship in a democratic world of
intellect and diversity. The College values and seeks intellectual and
cultural diversity and encourages respect for differences. Hamilton's
1,350-acre campus is situated on a hilltop overlooking the picturesque
village of Clinton, N.Y. and is only one hour from the Adirondack Park to
the northeast. Hamilton’s commitment to diversity is embodied in its
need-blind admission policy and meeting the full demonstrated financial
need of every accepted student for his or her entire undergraduate program.

*Director, Metadata and Digital Strategies*

The director provides leadership for cataloging, metadata creation, library
information systems, digitization, data curation and preservation.  The
director collaborates with others in LITS to support faculty and student
scholarship, digitization and access to special collections and the
oversight of institutional repositories and is a member of the strategic
leadership team that develops a shared vision for LITS that supports
Hamilton’s institutional mission.

Specific job responsibilities and application procedures can be found at:

https://my.hamilton.edu/human-resources/employment?mode=Details&ID=1109
--
Lisa M. McFall
Metadata and Catalog Librarian