[Metadatalibrarians] Job Opening: Media Services Director, WILL Public Media, UIUC
Sarah L. Shreeves
sshreeve at uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 4 12:02:22 PDT 2007
Please excuse the cross-posting. I'm posting this on behalf of a
colleague here at UIUC. If you have questions, please contact Jack
Brighton at jackb at uiuc.edu. The posting is available online at:
Job Posting: Media Services Director, WILL Public Media, Division of
Broadcasting, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks a full-time
professional to manage digital media systems integration for WILL
AM-FM-TV-Online, the University's public broadcasting stations
affiliated with the Public Broadcasting Service and National Public
Radio. WILL-AM, on air since 1922, is a 5,000-watt station and that
serves eastern Illinois and western Indiana with a news and
informational format. WILL-FM, established in 1941, is a
105,000-watt station that serves east central Illinois and west
central Indiana with predominantly classical music
programming. WILL-TV, established in 1955, is the primary PBS
affiliate for viewers in central Illinois. WILL-Online extends the
reach of all WILL broadcast services with extensive online archives
and program information.
This is a full-time Academic Professional position under the general
supervision of the Director of Internet Development. The Media
Systems Manager plays a key role in developing a model file-based
digital media workflow at WILL, and managing content and metadata
across all platforms. She or he is responsible for developing and
maintaining the digital media production, publishing, archiving, and
preservation environment for WILL AM-FM-TV-Online, and for directing
its use to serve the mission of the WILL and the Division of Broadcasting.
* Coordinates with Production Staff, Engineering, Computer
Services, Traffic, Operations, and Internet Development to develop
and integrate systems for media file and metadata production and
interoperability. * Works with vendors in developing and
supporting digital media production, network, metadata, and storage systems.
* Serves as the primary support person for digital video
production workstations, servers, and storage.
* Coordinates the digital media production environment with
systems in Engineering, Computer Services, Operations, Traffic, and
* Responsible for understanding and maintaining adherence to
industry standards in media file formats and encoding.
* Maintains streaming media servers and encoders, ensuring high
quality of service.
* Supports the creation, capture, and accessibility of
descriptive, administrative, and technical metadata throughout
production, publishing, and archiving processes.
* Documents the installation and operational details of the
systems under Media Systems.
* Trains staff and students on digital media production as needed.
* Other related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
* A bachelor's degree (required); a master's degree (preferred).
* A minimum of five years experience in a digital media
* Demonstrated high level of expertise in production of
broadcast and online media.
* Ability to install and maintain Mac and Windows-based digital
* A track-record of professional success integrating digital
media systems in a networked environment.
* Ability to operate streaming media servers and network
* Experience working with vendors in support of media
production equipment, servers, and storage systems.
* Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to
work cooperatively as part of a team.
* An ability and desire to learn new technologies and skills
* Digital media file formats and standards.
* A/V production tools and software, including AVID and Final Cut Pro.
* Metadata formats and standards.
* Item- and collection-level cataloging practices.
* XML/XSD, SQL, and data transformation.
* Public broadcasting and its mission.
The proposed starting date is December 1st, 2007. To ensure full
consideration, a letter of application, resume, and the names,
addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references should
be received by October 5th, 2007. Interviews may take place before
the closing date; however, no decision will be made until after
October 5th, 2007. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and
experience, not less than $45,000.
To apply please contact:
Elizabeth Weathers, Division Secretary
WILL Public Media
300 N. Goodwin
Urbana, IL 61801
eweather at uiuc.edu
This job posting is also available here:
The University of Illinois is an Affirmative Action, Equal
Sarah L. Shreeves
Coordinator, Illinois Digital Environment for Access to Learning and
University of Illinois Library at Urbana-Champaign
Phone: 217-244-3877 or 217-233-4648
Email: sshreeve at uiuc.edu
More information about the Metadatalibrarians